The mill was regularly visited by tourists even before the war, although it did not have museum status at the time. The last miller kept a guest book in which the oldest signatures date back to 1930. He took great pleasure in showing visitors around, foreigners in particular, and was delighted to be able to chat with them. He also enjoyed talking to the students who rented rooms in the mill during the 1950s and 1960s. The rent of the rooms was inexpensive but every morning they were obliged to have breakfast with the old miller who, despite his basic education, must have been a rather erudite man.
On 2 June 1966, De Valk became a municipal museum following the death of the last miller, Willem van Rhijn, in 1964 at the age of 87. Alongside the 'Van Rhijn collection', the basis of the exhibition was formed by a large collection of objects used in milling that the 'Vereniging De Hollandsche Molen' (The Dutch Mill Society) had acquired shortly beforehand.
Extension and additions
The collection has been regularly extended over the years and additions include a horse mill which can now be seen outside and various models of mills, most of which were donated.
The most recent addition has been to make the mill operational for grinding. Until then, the mill often turned but could not really be used for grinding. Whole-wheat flour ground at the mill can now be bought again.